Originally built in 1878 by chief architect to the Brigade, under the Metropolitan Board of Works, Alfred Mott, it was later extended in 1911 by architect WE Brooks. The 1878 section was built using brick with terracotta and stone dressings, and has a tiled roof and moulded chimney stacks. The elevation facing Southwark Bridge Road is a four-storey Gothic Revival section, to the left of which sits a five-storey watch tower.
In 2014, following 146 years of public service, Southwark Fire Station closed its doors. It was later sold in 2019 and the whole area rescued from dereliction. It is now undergoing a redevelopment phase as a community-minded, multi-use site.
Architects Collado Collins secured planning for the redevelopment of the site in Southwark. Ardmore Construction won the £85m main contract to redevelop the site, and TRC was contracted to refurbish 250 of the existing windows and doors.
The window restoration was sensitive to the historical importance of the area and complements the original aesthetics of the building. The exterior face of the building plays an important role in the visual impact, so it was vital that windows and doors were sympathetically repaired or replaced.
TRC manufactured and installed a number of new traditional sash windows, and 36 new high-performance Crittall Windows. The windows were detailed replicas of the originals, sympathetically manufactured and installed in the newly formed window openings throughout the building. When repair was required to the existing frames, modern and traditional methods of repair were used. This included concealed draughtproofing to ensure thermal performance and acoustic benefits of the building were improved, and the sustainability of the refurbed windows could be guaranteed.
All the work undertaken was carried out in accordance with the method statements of TRC Contracts Ltd specialist sub‐contractor, and in agreement with the Conservation Officer. The expected completion date of the full redevelopment is expected early 2021.